Faucet is leaking or dripping from the spout. This troubleshooting document relates to standard, pull-out, and pull-down kitchen faucets.
Description of the Issue: With this issue, water will drip from the end of the spout after the water has been turned off at the handle.
Causes for the Leak
- Temporary leak: Dirt or debris has collected in the aerator, the screen located at the end of the spout. This drip lasts for a minute or two after the faucet is turned off.
- Continuous leak: The valve/cartridge under the handle that controls the flow of water has worn out. This is characterized by a constant leak that occurs all day after the faucet is turned off.
Solution for the Leak
Temporary leak solution: Remove the aerator from the end of the spout and soak it in a 50/50 solution of warm water and white vinegar. This solution will help break down any hard water build up that has occurred within the aerator. Rinse the aerator with water prior to reinstalling.
Continuous leak solution: Resolve the issue by replacing the valve/cartridge that is located beneath the handle. The part number of the replacement valve will vary depending on the faucet model number.
- Identify your faucet model number. To identify your faucet model number, reference Identifying Your Faucet Model.
Still having trouble identifying your model number? The Product Finder can help you identify your product.
The Faucet Parts Catalog is another resource that can help identify your product.
- To locate the valve/cartridge part number for your faucet, enter your model number in the Find Parts search box (Fig. 1).
- On the faucet page, access the Interactive Parts Diagrams to locate and order the replacement valve/cartridge. For additional information on viewing the Interactive Parts Diagrams please view Troubleshooting: Identify Product Replacement Parts.
- Replacement parts for this faucet may be covered under the Kohler Faucet Lifetime Limited Warranty. Contact Kohler Customer Service for additional details.
Kohler replacement parts are designed with ease of installation in mind. The following resources may assist with installation and repair of the valve/cartridge.
- Video – Single-Handle Kitchen Sink Faucets Valve Replacement
- Video – Two-Handle Kitchen Sink Faucets UltraGlide Valve Replacement
- Video – Bellera, Simplice or Cruette Single-Handle Kitchen Sink Faucets Valve Replacement
- Replace the Valve in a Single Control Faucet
- Replace the Valve in a Two Handle Faucet