Refer to the following information for possible causes to diagnose a whirlpool that is not turning on or off.
Ensure that the whirlpool is a Kohler whirlpool by locating the model number and serial number located on the motor / pump assembly. Refer to "Identifying Your Bath or Whirlpool Model" for additional information.
1. Motor / Pump Not Connected
- During installation, plugs may become disconnected, a power outlet may not have been available or installed.
- It could be possible that the heater is plugged into the outlet but not the motor (Fig. 1).
- Ensure that the whirlpool is connected and plugged in.
2. Bad Electrical Connection
- It is very common that power is not available at the outlet where the whirlpool pump would be connected.
- Plug another appliance, like a lamp or radio, into the outlet and confirm that it turns on. If yes, then proceed to the next possible cause.
- If there is no power, check the breaker panel, GFCI and wiring. If the issue cannot be resolved, contact an electrician.
3. Tubing Not Connected to Push Button Air Switch, Pump Assembly or Tubing is Pinched
- During installation and handling, tubing can be pulled out of its connections or become pinched.
- Visually inspect the connection at the switch or pump to ensure it is connected (Fig. 2 and (Fig. 3).
- Check that the tubing is not pinched (Fig. 4).
- A simple way to ensure that tubing is properly connected is to press the button on the air switch and make sure you hear a click at the pump. Since the click is not loud, make sure it is quiet in the room or have a second person listen.
- Reconnect tubing if necessary and/or eliminate the source of pinched tubing.
4. Push Button Air Switch Not Working Properly
- The push button air switch could be damaged due to impact or poor assembly.
- Remove the tubing from the air switch and blow air into the tube (Fig. 5). If the pump starts, there is an issue with the push button and it will need to be replaced.
- If the pump does not start, refer to the next possible cause in number 5.
5. Motor / Pump Receive Switch Not Working Properly
- Press the push button air switch and listen for a click at the motor / pump. If a click is not heard, then the motor receiver switch may be defective.
- Tap the top of the motor control box with the handle of a screw driver and try again to start the pump (Fig. 6). If it does not start, the motor receiver switch needs to be replaced.
- To replace the motor receiver switch, the cover must be removed from the box on the motor assembly (Fig. 7).
6. Whirlpool Jets are Not Working
- Kohler whirlpool jets are adjustable. By rotating the outside ring, they can be turned on or off (Fig. 8).
- Refer to your model's Installation Guide for specific instruction.
- If after rotating to open the jet is still not working properly, replace the jet.